Sunday, August 29, 2010

Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief

Ah yes, Percy Jackson, the better written sequel to the Clash of the Titans remake....

I'm only partly joking. 

Based on the same mythology, Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief is a cross between a modern day remake and a sequel to the events in Clash of the Titans (both versions).  I say sequel because they mention Perseus and reference the other demi-gods, and I say remake because it seems that Percy does almost the exact same things as Perseus. 

Except that this is a modern, teen-self-discovery-quest story, the movie being based on a book, apparently, and so the characters have more character than the Clash of the Titans remake.  As far as I can make out, that and the special effects is all that this movie has going for it.  The plot is quite disjointed at points, with too many awkwardly placed information blurbs and conveniently placed knowledge, not to mention some rather flat characters.

My conclusion: while not the worse teen fantasy flick I've seen, it's definitely not the best, and to be honest, I think some of the trailers were better than the actual movie.  I have to say, leave this one for the teens; maybe they'll get a little interested in mythology from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite, keep on topic, and refrain from trolling.